- 21st October 2020
Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, Nepal Government is releasing its entry protocol by considering the present situation of Nepal. This protocol has been issued by the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, for the safety and protection against the risk of COVID-19 for foreign tourists visiting Nepal for Mountaineering Expeditions and Trekking, as per the following terms and conditions:
- All tourists coming to Nepal for mountaineering and trekking must acquire a visa before arriving in Nepal.
- In the case of countries where visa provision for Nepal is not available, expedition teams or trekkers can coordinate with Travel and Trekking agencies based in Nepal for the arrangement of prior approval to enter Nepal.
- For prior Visa approval, the Nepal based Agencies must submit all prescribed details of the client/s and relevant details to the Department of Tourism (DOT) for Expedition teams and the Nepal Tourism Board for Trekkers, for a recommendation of Visa to the Department of Immigration.
- For tourists arriving in Nepal as per point 1, the visa shall be provisioned at the point of entry by the Department of Immigration.
- Tourists entering Nepal must present the following documents at the entry point;
- RT (Polymerase Chain Reaction: PCR) Negative taken within 72 hours before departing the home country
- Visa or prior approval document (ref point 1) for entry to Nepal.
- A hotel booking for at least 7 days’ quarantine in Nepal.
- Insurance of at least 5,000/- (Five thousand US Dollars) against COVID-19 per person.
- After entry to Nepal, tourists must stay in hotel quarantine for a minimum of 7 days.
- Tourists are required to take a PCR test on the fifth day of hotel quarantine at own expense and shall be allowed to proceed for expeditions or trekking on obtaining RT PCR Negative.
- As per Article 3, for tourists who test RT Positive for COVID-19, Quarantine shall be extended till he/ she obtains RT PCR Negative test report.
- Expedition or trekking teams must provide insurance coverage of a minimum of NPR 100,000/- (One lakh Nepali Rupees only) against COVID-19 to team members from Nepal prior to obtaining permission for expedition or trekking.
- While in expedition or trekking in Nepal, health guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health and Population of the Government of Nepal must be duly followed.
- Other conditions and criteria to be followed by the tourist shall be as per regular updates from the Department of Tourism. The concerned agency must provide detailed information on the same to tourists before the expedition or trekking.